Monduli Juu, situated 50 kms northwest of Arusha, is a cluster of four small villages – Emairete, Enguiki, Eluwai and Mfereji.
The following is on offer to visitors:
– A picturesque journey through the evergreen rain forest
– A medicinal tour of plants and herbs, which includes a visit to a traditional Maasai herbs doctor
– A visit to Naramatu – a small factory where Maasai women make ethnic jewellery
– A chance to have a ‘nyama choma’ or roast meat meal with the Maasai.
– Panoramic view of the Rift Valley, Oldonyo Lengai and Lake Natron
– An insight into the culture of the Maasai and Waarusha There are tours available for half day, full day, and two/three/four days:
Half day tours
1. The ‘Kona Saba’ escarpment climb
The tour starts at Mfereji village and includes a visit to a Maasai boma, a walk through tree savanna to the foot of the escarpment and the ascent to the top from where you get panoramic views over the Rift Valley.
2. The evergreen rainforest tour
Start from Enguiki and walk to the eastern peak of the Monduli mountains. En-route to a water source, see trees, birds and animals.
Full day tour
Medicinal herbs tour
The tour starts at Emirate dam and takes you past the Maasai church, primary school and kindergarten project up to Naramatu. Further up the mountain, enjoy the scenic views. Savour lunch in a Maasai boma before visiting a traditional Maasai herbs doctor.
Two day tour
Visit the Esserian Maasai Camp and Sominen dam site, a Maasai boma and ‘orpul’ – a traditional Maasai meat camp – on the first day. On the second day, walk to Olkaray, the red clay that is used by the Maasai to colour their face and hair.
Three day tour
On the first day, visit the Esserian Maasai Camp and Sominen dam site. Next day, walk through O’Liyamei Valley, Sokoine dam and the dipping tank. Spend the night at Naramatu Camp. On the third day, visit Enguiki and Bismarck’s palace.
Four day tour
Comprehensive tour from Enguiki Norkuman Camp for three nights in Enguiki village. On the fist day, visit the famous water hole and ascend to the ‘Kona Saba’ escarpment. On the second day, go to Mfereji and a Maasai boma. On the third, visit the primary school, dispensary in Monduli forest in Enguiki village. On the last day, visit Emirate village to see the ex-eye hospital, primary school, and dispensary and kindergarten project. Customised tours can be organized.
Getting there: From Arusha bus stand, there are buses going to Monduli Juu. The duration from Arusha to Monduli Juu is about 1 ½ hours. (Income from tourist will be used to set up and run a kindergarten in Monduli Juu.)